This presentation explains why most US patents are not worth much. The presentation clarifies some of the major challenges in creating a valuable patent portfolio and outlines the patent best practices that can be used to overcome many, but not all of the potential roadblocks and impediments to creating patent value. This presentation is directed towards startups, inventors, investors, innovators, and C-level executives. This version updates various slides for clarity and accuracy and fixes some nits.
After explaining the difficulties of building a strong patent portfolio, Best Practices are discussed in some detail:
- Some Assumptions Underlying Best Practices
- How To Build Patent Value
- Searching Matters Because
- Keep the File Open at the Patent Office With A Continuation
- Avoid Prior Disclosure – On-sale Bar
- File A Provisional Patent Application
- Consider Foreign Filings
- Work With A Registered Patent Attorney
Disclaimer: The content of this presentation shall not be construed under any circumstances, by implication or otherwise, as the giving of legal advice and/or the practice of law.
Click on the link just below or on the title slide to download the complete PDF file. The presentation may look best with the "Full Screen" option in Acrobat ("Window/Full Screen Mode").